The role of a social compliance monitor is to critically assess the environmental, health, safety, and labor conditions for workers in agricultural and manufacturing settings across all industries, including among others apparel, raw materials, soft goods, hard goods, etc. Monitors will be expected to critically analyze facility practices against local standards, client codes of conduct, and best practices. The monitor is expected to assess practices by
- Conducting an opening meeting with management outlining scope and client expectations,
- Interviewing management to understand facility practices,
- Conducting a facility walkthrough to observe facility practices,
- Reviewing documentation that demonstrates practices,
- Interviewing workers in a sensitive but impartial way to verify and explore practices,
- Triangulating data across data sources to come to an informed conclusion on practices,
- Presenting results to facility management in a sensitive and transparent way,
- Writing comprehensive reports in English for each assessment, in a timely and accurate manner,
- Providing client, facility, vendor, and fellow staff necessary clarification in a professional, timely, and accurate manner.
- Finally, monitor is expected to meet Key Performance Targets related to report turn-around time, report quality, budget and integrity.
- 4-year college degree / an advanced degree is preferred
- Strong business acumen
- Customer service orientation and results orientated
- Effective problem solving and negotiation skills
- Excellent Spanish verbal and written communication skills is a plus
- Conversational Portuguese also welcome.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet-research /reporting/analysis tools
- Maintains a global perspective and is culturally sensitive and aware
- Ability to travel 80% of the time
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Comfortable with confrontation, with a diplomatic and easy demeanor
- Ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment with persons of varying socio-economic status
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Interest in international labor standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, and environmental issues
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in social compliance auditing
- Minimum 100 social compliance audit days (verifiable)
- APSCA registered (preferred)
- SA8000 Auditor Certification, RBA, BSCI Certification or equivalent is a plus
- Possess knowledge of International and local labor standards and human rights issues are preferred
ELEVATE offers a competitive salary and compensation package based on experience and qualifications.
* Please include a cover letter explain what you enjoy about doing this work and explain your career goals.